Product Name: Marigold Flower Extract Lutein
Botanical Source: Tagetes erecta L.
Active Ingredient: Lutein & Zeaxanthin
Specification: 5~80% by HPLC/UV (2~3% of feed grade)
Appearance: Orange red fine powder
CAS No.: 127-40-2
Chemical Formula: C40H56O2
Molar Mass: 568.871 g/mol
Application: Herbal supplement, cosmetics and coloring industry
* Lutein (from Latin luteus meaning "yellow") is a xanthophyll and one of 600 known naturally occurring carotenoids.
* Lutein is obtained by animals directly or indirectly, from plants. Lutein is apparently employed by animals as an antioxidant and for blue light absorption.
* Lutein is found in egg yolks and animal fats. In addition to coloring yolks, lutein causes the yellow color of chicken skin and fat, and is used in chicken feed for this purpose.
* The human retina accumulates lutein and zeaxanthin. The latter predominates at the macula lutea while lutein predominates elsewhere in the retina. There, it may serve as a photoprotectant for the retina from the damaging effects of free radicals produced by blue light.
* Lutein is isomeric with zeaxanthin, differing only in the placement of one double bond.